Partners & Projects
Global Maintenance USG has established and maintained a number of strategic partnerships and fee-for-service arrangements with major asset owners and stakeholders across the Upper Spencer Gulf. This work strongly complements the services provided to members and the strong advocacy provided by GMUSG on behalf of its members about the importance of local content procurement.
GMUSG has provided contracted local content services to OZ Minerals since 2016, for development of local supply chains for their Carrapateena project. During this time GMUSG has assisted OZ Minerals to deliver cumulative contract value to Upper Spencer Gulf businesses of some $41.9m. Partnering to drive local content activities, and enabling connection of local businesses to the Carrapateena supply chain, the partnership has actively facilitated lead contractor introductions to local suppliers and businesses. The partnering of OZ Minerals with GMUSG has resulted in numerous Indigenous and local contractors and suppliers being engaged across OZ Minerals sites at both Carrapateena and Prominent Hill. The value of this partnership has been duly recognised with OZ Minerals and GMUSG winning the SA Premiers Award for “Excellence in working with Communities” November 2018.
OZ Minerals invited GMUSG to support the company’s commitment to local content via a formal agreement signed November 2017. GMUSG provides local supplier engagement services to OZ minerals on a fee-for-service basis. The agreement was extended to December 2019 and expanded to include services to OZ Minerals’ Prominent Hill mine.
The agreement with OZ Minerals delivers important benefits for GMUSG; our members; and local suppliers:
- GMUSG members and local suppliers gain unparalleled access to OZ Minerals personnel and lead contractors.
- We can identify 56 GMUSG members and local suppliers who have won business associated with Carrapateena.
- Fee-for-service payments by OZ Minerals helps GMUSG maintain services to members.
- GMUSG’s profile and reputation within industry is enhanced as a result of the partnership with OZ Minerals.
Activities delivered through this partnership include:
- USG Supplier Tours: GMUSG regularly conducts supplier tours to visit workshops, shopfronts and factories of regional suppliers to increase awareness of the existing capabilities within the region.
- Local Supplier Index: We developed and maintain an index of 160 local suppliers (including all GMUSG members). Each business listing includes a capability summary and contact details. Local Supplier Index updates are distributed to OZ Minerals and lead contractors.
Local Buying Program
BHP launched is Local Buying Program (LBP), with delivery partner, C-Res, at the GMUSG Conference in August 2017. The LBP connects Australia’s biggest business, BHP, with our regions’ smallest businesses and aims to increase opportunities by making it easier for small local suppliers to do business with BHP.
C-Res, a cost neutral business, acts as the transactional interface between BHP and local suppliers. The program nationally has exceeded $300 million payments to BHP local suppliers.
Local Buying Program spend via BHP’s South Australian operations was $2,494,618 for 2018-19 and there are currently 103 approved suppliers from Roxby Downs and Upper Spencer Gulf communities.